Squid tubes are popular coated products processed out of squid. Squid tubes are prepared from whole squids by carefully removing the ink sac, squid pane, tentacles and viscera. The squid tubes are then battered and breaded after peeling of the skin. The batter coated squid rings are then deep fried for less than two minutes to prevent toughness. Squid rings are served as plain with salt, lemon and sauce. It has demand in the domestic and export market.
Preparation of Brine Solution
* Ingredients serially numbered from 2 to 4 are required for Brine Solution
* Take 1.2 litre of potable water; add 36 gm (3%) salt and 1.2 gm (0.1%) citric acid to the water. Mix the solution properly to get brine solution.
Processing of Squid Rings
* Prepare squid tubes from fresh whole squids by carefully removing the ink sac, squid pane, tentacles and viscera.
* Peel off the skin and wash tubes in potable water.
* Cut the cleaned tubes in the form of rings of uniform size (1 cm).
* Cook the rings in brine solution for 1-2 minutes and cool under a fan.
* Coat the rings with a suitable pre-dust, batter and bread crumbs.
* Flash fry the coated rings for 20 seconds at 180°C and freeze in an IQF freezer.
* Arrange in PVC/polystyrene trays and vacuum pack in laminated pouches.
* Store the products in master cartons at -20°C.
* Thaw and fry it.
Method of Batter Preparation
* Ingredients serially numbered from 5 to 11 are required for batter mix.
* The ingredients like American flour (maida), corn flour, bengal gram, salt, guar gum and turmeric powder should mix well to get dry batter mix.
* Add potable water to the dry batter mix in the 1:2 (dry batter : water) ratio to get batter mix.